Thursday, November 29, 2007

Beyond Documentary


This week I prepared a lecture on Francesca Woodman. Looking at her photographs was so refreshing, in a sense to observe photographs that are intensely personal which make you reflect and feel. I just thought tonight that in a way, I am exhausted from the need to argue for photographs that go beyond documentary since culturally we are bombarded by them in Israel with museum exhibitions and the common public perception which I encounter on a daily basis. What about photographs that can dream for us? feel for us? ask questions that we don't?

Taking a break from class preparations, I shot this sequence on my front porch, it makes me think about old Russian black and white films or Rembrandt drawing. Is there a reason for it? What is in these photographs that makes you reflect beyond their seemingly mundane referents?

No comments: